Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What breed of mice do you feed a corn snake?

I want to get a baby corn snake. I know I'm supposed to get pinkies but I want to know if matters what breed the mice are. ( I mean, don't they all taste the same)?What breed of mice do you feed a corn snake?
Breed of mouse doesn't matter.. it's all about size. But there are several cornsnake breeders that breed their own mice and they often tend to like breeding different colors on their mice. I have no real experience in that area however.. All I know is that in the wild the food of the cornsnakes not only consists of mice but also of lizards and frogs and the most important thing to bear in mind is that the pray isn't more than 1.5 times larger than the fattest part of the snake..





Hope this helps!What breed of mice do you feed a corn snake?
Not everyone does this but I like to mix it up for my corn snakes. I feed Pinkies of Mice, Hamsters, Gerbils, and rats. I sometimes think my snakes get bored with just mice. When they get older and bigger I put in other things like one day old baby quail chicks for a treat.


Frozen from conglomerate pet stores, are the worst kind of thing to feed your snake. You dont know what they have eaten, they are usually sickly, full of tumors and there guts are exploded before you get them. I love to raise my own food, with a proper healthy, all natural diet.
any breed, it doesnt matter. i would recommend getting feeders from a pet shop. if u ask for feeder mice they will know what your talking about, they wont cost much and will be more likely not to have rabies or something. your snake cant get it but if he/she bites you you can get it from the snake.
Well they're all mice a the end of the day. I don't think the snake's likely to develop a preference just yet, but sometimes they prefer certain colour mice when older. Fussy little buggers ;)





'Attacked By Trolls' that's brilliant advice, our boa used to love variety.
I'm not a mouse expert but they look like ordinary mice to me!


As the snake gets larger you could experience problems but it's rare, however I have got one snake that will only eat white mice though it will not touch brown or black for some reason
My daughter feeds her young corn snake frozen 'pinkies' and she's had the snake since it was a baby. Some snakes are particular about the color of their meal, tho.
The tasty ones....

No comments:

Post a Comment