Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is it better to feed my ball pythons mice or rats?

they are both capable of feeding on rats but i have been feeding them roughly 2 small mice a week.Is it better to feed my ball pythons mice or rats?
I personally prefer rats and feed them to all of my ball pythons.Is it better to feed my ball pythons mice or rats?
In the wild, the diet consists mostly of small mammals, such as African soft-furred rats, shrews and striped mice. Younger individuals have also been known to feed on birds. Captives usually do well on domestic rats and mice, either live, pre-killed, or frozen-thawed. Either species of rodent are eatable, but mice are better because rats sometimes attack the snake if threatened. I spoke to a person who told me his python was hurt so severely he had to remove the rat from the cage.
I've always heard that feeding the larger meal, less often was better for the snake (unless it's still very young). I honestly don't remember the reasoning behind it, maybe someone else will add it in. If your snakes are healthy, not overweight, and eating well, I don't see why it would really matter. Pricing might be different, but nutrition wise it should be about the same until they get larger.
Prekilled is always better. I have seen so many scarred up snakes because of people feeding live prey. I would go with rats just because they have a bit more meat on their bones.
Doesn't make any nutritional difference. Go with whatever is cheapest for you, as long as they're willing to keep eating 'em.
Either are fine, there's not too much of a difference other than size. (:
  • scene hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment